Custodial Services in a School Environment
Working with Children
It is our responsibility to have safe and productive individuals on-site who behave appropriately around children. We take that duty very seriously.
All employees must be pre-screened by the FBI for any criminal background. Drug screens are also performed. These checks are conducted annually to ensure crime and drug free status of staff members. We cannot be too careful in our filtering process as we are working with children.
Customer Service Training
Employees receive training in appropriate communication with all individuals (polite, friendly, courteous, and helpful), but NOT to approach or engage the faculty or children in any other communication. This will gain the professional respect we need to successfully be accepted.
All employees will be in GRBS polo shirts and khaki pants, so they are easily identified as part of the custodial team.
Unlike in-house programs, GRBS has a zero tolerance for any theft, drug use or violent behaviors in or out of the workplace. GRBS employees are given additional behavioral testing in our pre-screening process to reduce the risk of these behaviors and GRBS does not allow anyone to be employed who has a Felony OR Misdemeanor for theft, drug use or violent crimes.
GRBS began as a Window Cleaning Company back in 1915, when gas lamps and horse carriages in the streets of “downtown” Grand Rapids caused windows to darken with grime. In the 1930’s, GRBS started servicing office buildings in the Grand Rapids area. Old Kent, now 5/3 Bank, began using the services of GRBS in 1965, and we’ve been there ever since! Kalamazoo and Lansing Building Services started in 1980, and GRBS diversified our services to include manufacturing, government buildings, airports and colleges. We even had a Deli (what where we thinking?) GRBS expanded into Chicago, Indiana and the rest of the State of Michigan in 1999 (and closed the Deli). GRBS has a long history for Excellence in Customer Service and Retention, because Quality and Service come first. Check out some of our long term customers below.
Long Term Relationships
- Fifth Third Bank (f. Old Kent Bank) 54 years
- L-3 Aviation 26 years
- Wolverine Coil 21 years
- Holland Public Schools 17 years
- Cedar Springs Public Schools 15 years
- Fremont Public Schools 15 years
- Garden City Public Schools 15 years
- Hartland Consolidated Schools 15 years
- Lakeview Community Schools 14 years
- Reed City Area Schools 13 years
- DeWitt Public Schools 12 years
- Portage Public Schools 12 years
- Mt Pleasant Public Schools 11 years
- Birch Run Area Schools 10 years
- Byron Center Public Schools 10 years
- Comstock Park Public Schools 10 years
- Gaylord Community Schools 10 years
- Northville Public Schools 10 years
- Wayland Union Schools 10 years